A really easy starter or served as part of a tapas spread, this is full of tomatoes (loads of vitamin C and fibre) and tastes really good: a great way to pack in one of your five a day.
- 1 loaf wholemeal or seeeded baguette
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 50 grammes fresh basil
- 30 ml balsamic vinegar
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- pinch Salt
- First dice the tomatoes and then place in a sieve to drain.
- Very finely dice the red onion and add to the drained tomatoes, along with the chopped basil.
- Mix the vinegar and oil together with a little salt and stir marinade into tomato mix. Cover and leave for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to eat, slice the baguette into 1cm slithers (on the diagonal) and rub the surface with a garlic clove. Place the slices on a large baking tray, then bake in a medium oven for a few minutes: keep an eye on them as they won't take long.
- Remove bread from oven, and load each slice with tomato mix.
Share this Recipe